The information: Amazon known as it quits on its telehealth enterprise, Amazon Care. The tech large will not provide the service after December 31 because it isn’t “a whole sufficient providing for the big enterprise prospects it has been focusing on,” per an inside memo.
The writing was on the wall: Since rolling out its B2B telehealth enterprise in 2019, Amazon struggled to realize traction amongst employer shoppers.
As of 2021, it solely nabbed a handful of companions, together with Silicon Labs, True Blue, Hilton, and Complete Meals Market (which Amazon already owns).
- That didn’t cease Amazon Care from making its service accessible in additional cities, although.
- Final 12 months, it introduced it was increasing its digital and in-personal care providers to employers in 20 new cities this 12 months, together with Chicago and New York.
- However on the time, we posited that it was too early to name Amazon Care a digital care disruptor particularly since its consumer roster hadn’t grown as extensive as different employer-focused telehealth distributors.
Amazon redirects its focus to One Medical: Amazon’s latest One Medical acquisition offers the tech large much more B2B shoppers than it may ever rating by itself.
One Medical’s providers attain almost 8,000 employers in 25 US markets. Plus, One Medical already gives its personal digital care providers along with in-person clinics. Meaning working each Amazon Care and One Medical would change into redundant for Amazon.
Our take: We predict that Amazon has its eyes set on carving deeper into the house healthcare and diagnostics area.
Amazon’s One Medical acquisition is barely the start in Amazon’s healthcare playbook. In actual fact, final week, Bloomberg reported that each Amazon and UnitedHealth Group submitted bids to scoop up value-based care and residential well being firm Signify Well being.
- Signify Well being is already a longtime dwelling well being providers supplier, together with in-home well being assessments. That might match neatly with Amazon’s different dwelling well being choices, like its Alexa Together subscription for seniors.
- Plus, including Signify Well being to its roster may assist Amazon markedly increase its doctor community. Signify Well being’s community now contains 200+ well being techniques, 100 Federally Certified Well being Facilities (FQHCs), and 10,000+ main care practices because of its latest Caravan Well being purchase.