CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) – A Lowcountry nonprofit working in Title I faculties is kicking of a fundraising occasion Tuesday for a brand new psychological well being program for the tons of of scholars they serve.
Charleston Hope serves Lowcountry Title I faculties which have a scholar inhabitants charge of 90-100% of scholars dwelling at or under the federal poverty line.
The group presently serves round 200 college students in Mitchell Elementary and round 300 at Sanders-Clyde Elementary every day.
Stay 5 Information anchor Michal Higdon and 7 others within the Lowcountry have been chosen as Charleston Hope Heroes and can accomplice with the group to assist increase the cash.
“We have now had counselors which can be interns getting their masters in counseling receiving hours and dealing with our college students one-on-one and particular person teams,” Charleston Hope Program and Operations Supervisor Kendall Biga says. “This yr we’re excited to increase to that program to rent licensed skilled counselors and social employees to work with our college students.”
Charleston Hope is piloting this system at Mitchell Elementary beginning in August. It’s working with college administration, counselors, and district leaders to create a mannequin that’s sustainable and efficient.
“Our faculties obtain, by the district, one psychological well being counselor that comes sooner or later per week which isn’t sufficient to service the wants of our college students which have simply grown with the pandemic and the entire trauma that our college students expertise,” Biga says. “A variety of them are in want of extra psychological well being helps than they’re receiving.”
This system will comply with the Secure & Supportive Studying Faculty-Primarily based Psychological Well being Program Mannequin and can implement the next Tiers of Help:
- Tier 1: Common psychological well being promotion for all college students and academics by way of the mission of Charleston Hope together with our Step-In Women Program and the assist of social emotional curriculum applied by the college district
- Tier 2: Selective Companies for college kids recognized as in danger for a psychological well being concern or program, assessed by way of CANS-EI or different district evaluation. Companies shall be supplied by Charleston Hope Grasp’s Degree Pupil Interns from The Citadel, Charleston Southern College, and Webster College. Periods shall be throughout and after the college day.
- Tier 3: Indicated Companies for particular person college students who already show a psychological well being concern or program decided by the CANS-EI or district evaluation; providers shall be supplied by contracted Licenses Skilled Counselors from the group and native companies. Periods will happen after college and can embrace body-based methods/actions.
Click here to donate. For many who donate, here’s a breakdown of the place donations go:
- Program Coordinator to supervise this system, handle counseling periods, and function a scholar advocate for college kids psychological well being
- Session charges for contracted licensed skilled counselors, psychologists, and social employees
- Program Supplies
- Evaluation and trauma-informed coaching for workers and interns
Charleston Hope’s mission is concentrated on intentionality, relationships, and empowerment. It takes a village to boost a toddler, any youngster, and Charleston Hope is dedicated to being part of that village. The success and impression of the group is due to, and devoted to, devoted supporters, passionate academics, and galvanizing college students.
Copyright 2022 WCSC. All rights reserved.