Welcome again to 10 Things in Politics. Sign up here to receive this newsletter. Plus, obtain Insider’s app for information on the go — click on here for iOS and here for Android. Ship tricks to email@example.com.
1. ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL: Republicans are ready for the midterms. Glenn Youngkin’s projected victory within the Virginia governor’s race is the principle information level, nevertheless it’s removed from the one one on an evening that has buoyed the spirits of a celebration that simply 9 months in the past discovered itself locked out of energy in Washington. In an indication of simply how good issues are for Republicans, the New Jersey governor’s race remains too close to call.
Listed here are the important thing takeaways from a giant “off-year” election night time:
Republicans stormed again to energy in Virginia: Youngkin, a first-time candidate, is projected to have ended a GOP gubernatorial shedding streak within the state courting again to 2009. However that was just the start. Choice Desk HQ tasks that Republicans will sweep statewide places of work, with Winsome Sears, a former state delegate, winning the lieutenant governor’s race and Jason Miyares ousting the two-term Legal professional Basic Mark Herring.
- The GOP sweep made historical past: Sears is the primary Black girl elected to statewide workplace in Virginia. Miyares is ready to be the commonwealth’s first Latino lawyer normal.
Extra on the outcomes:
Youngkin was capable of thread the Trump needle: “Youngkin was capable of enchantment to Trump’s base by voicing help for the previous president and calling for election integrity. However Youngkin additionally drew reasonable and impartial voters by speaking in regards to the financial system and parental involvement in faculties,” The Washington Submit stories.
- Nonetheless, Donald Trump quickly swooped in to claim credit: “I wish to thank my BASE for popping out in power and voting for Glenn Youngkin. With out you, he wouldn’t have been near successful,” Trump mentioned in an announcement. Youngkin prevented immediately criticizing the president, however he additionally didn’t marketing campaign with him.
Different main outcomes:
Democrats are anxiously awaiting ends in New Jersey: Gov. Phil Murphy was anticipated to simply win in a state that Joe Biden carried by roughly 16 factors. However the state has additionally not reelected a Democratic governor in more than 40 years.
- How you already know it is dangerous for Democrats: The New Jersey Senate president, Steve Sweeney, the longest-serving legislative chief in state historical past, is in a detailed contest in opposition to an essentially no-name Republican opponent, per a number of stories.
This is the place issues stood earlier this morning:
Historical past made in Boston: Michelle Wu was elected Boston’s first female and nonwhite mayor, a serious second in a metropolis whose politics have lengthy been dominated by white males.
Eric Adams to steer New York: Adams, as anticipated, easily dispatched the Republican Curtis Sliwa within the New York Metropolis mayoral election. Sliwa spent a part of Election Day trying to get his cat into the polling place with him.
The final phrase from The Prepare dinner Political Report’s Dave Wasserman:
2. CDC OKs vaccine for teenagers: The Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention has given the inexperienced gentle to advocate the lower-dose Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for teenagers ages 5 to 11, making practically all school-age kids eligible to get vaccinated within the US. Pediatricians may start administering pictures as quickly as right now. Doctors and nurses advising the CDC stressed that parents shouldn’t wait to vaccinate their kids.
3. Minneapolis voters defeat proposal to interchange metropolis’s police division: Voters opposed the proposal by a 12-percentage-point margin, the Star Tribune stories. Advocates and a few liberal metropolis councilors had pushed for a dramatic overhaul of Minneapolis’ police division after the homicide of George Floyd. As a substitute, voters seem poised to reelect Mayor Jacob Frey, one of many proposal’s most outspoken opponents. More on the closely watched ballot question in Minnesota.
4. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema publicizes help for drug-pricing deal: Decrease prices on pharmaceuticals are again in Democrats’ social-spending framework — and the important thing centrist Sen. Kyrsten Sinema has thrown her help behind it. Speaker Nancy Pelosi, per NBC, said the deal would set up a $2,000 out-of-pocket restrict for seniors’ bills in Medicare Half D, cut back out-of-pocket co-pays, and decrease some drug costs. Sinema’s support of the deal is most likely a good sign of where she stands as Biden tries to push his agenda across the finish line.
5. Biden calls out Russian and Chinese language leaders for skipping local weather summit: Biden criticized Chinese language President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin for skipping the UN local weather convention in Glasgow, Scotland, in addition to the latest G20 summit in Rome, questioning their dedication to addressing the local weather disaster as different world leaders have sought consensus. “The only most vital factor that is caught the eye of the world is local weather,” Biden instructed reporters. More on Biden’s remarks targeting two of the world’s biggest polluters.
6. Zillow is shutting down its homebuying enterprise and shedding 25% of its workers: Zillow paused Zillow Presents final month after the corporate mentioned it had a backlog of houses that required renovations. However an Insider evaluation revealed different points with the corporate’s iBuying technique. Of the tons of of houses Zillow lately listed on the market in its 5 largest markets, 64% had been being marketed for lower than the corporate paid for them. More on Zillow’s problems.
7. “Choose Judy” stricken by abuse, racism, insiders say: An Insider investigation involving interviews with 16 former “Choose Judy” workers, in addition to a assessment of hundreds of pages of courtroom data, discovered that Judith Sheindlin’s long-standing government producer and director Randy Douthit had repeatedly been accused of sexually harassing workers, making inappropriate sexual feedback to feminine employees members, providing preferential therapy to staffers he discovered engaging, and ordering junior producers to carry fewer Black litigants on the present. In an announcement, Sheindlin, who has a brand new present out, defended her stewardship of “Choose Judy” however didn’t handle the accusations in opposition to Douthit. Read more from Insider’s investigation into one of TV’s biggest icons.
8. Kyle Rittenhouse’s trial opens: “Jurors heard starkly completely different portrayals of Kyle Rittenhouse — instigator or sufferer — in opening statements at his trial on fees of taking pictures three individuals on the streets of Kenosha throughout a turbulent protest in opposition to racial injustice,” the Related Press stories. More on the trial.
9. A whole lot of QAnon supporters collect in Dallas to witness “the return of JFK and JFK Jr.”: Many believed they might witness the return of the assassinated president and his son who died in a aircraft crash in 1999, The Every day Beast stories. They had been dissatisfied to see their prediction did not come true. But rather than grappling with why the reappearances didn’t happen, many just pivoted to a new prediction.
10. Braves win the World Sequence: The Atlanta Braves blasted the Houston Astros, 7-0, in Sport 6 and clinched the championship with a 4-2 sequence win. This is the Braves’ first World Series title since 1995.
At the moment’s trivia query: What number of presidents had been born in Virginia? E-mail your reply and a instructed query to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.